the dibek coffee: anatolia's hidden gem
Summary: Have you ever tried dibek coffee? This lighter version of Turkish coffee is full of various flavors and health benefits. Go down and learn more about it!
Dibek coffee is another common coffee drink in Anatolia besides Turkish coffee. It takes its name “dibek” from the grinding method. Dibek coffee is ground being beaten by a stone pestle in a mortar. A mortar is called dibek in Turkish. This method yields coarser coffee grounds than the grinding in a coffee mill by which traditional Turkish coffee is ground.
Turkish coffee and dibek coffee have several differences. First of all, their grinding method is different, as mentioned above. Secondly, their ingredients are different. Turkish coffee consists of only ground coffee beans. On the other hand, dibek coffee has roasted coffee, mastic gum, chocolate, cardamom, cream, and salep. In addition, hazelnut, vanilla, and caramel can also be included in dibek coffee as additional flavors.
Thanks to its grinding method and additional ingredients, dibek coffee tastes lighter than Turkish coffee, has higher consistency, and is lower in caffeine content. While it does not actually include milk, its unique blend of flavors and creamy texture often lead people to think of it as a milky variant of Turkish coffee. This misconception aside, dibek coffee somewhat parallels the taste of Turkish coffee with milk.
You can find dibek coffee under different names like Ottoman dibek coffee, Harput dibek coffee, and mortar coffee. Dibek coffee is brewed the same way as Turkish coffee. The brewing method is sometimes called Turkish style and other times Greek style, even though both styles are the same. Besides the traditional brewing over the stove, luckily, there are also modern Turkish coffee makers, which ease this oldest coffee brewing method for our hectic lives. Below will you find both methods.
Ingredients and Tools to Make Dibek Coffee at Home
Water: It should be filtered or bottled if tap water is low quality. Keep in mind that the quality of water you use will have a direct impact on the taste of the coffee. You should measure the amount of water according to the number of cups you are planning to make.
Ground dibek coffee: You should add 2 heaping tablespoons of dibek coffee per each cup.
Cezve or briki (or an electric Turkish coffee maker)
Some sugar (optional for sweet coffee lovers)
How to Make Dibek Coffee: the traditional way
Below are the steps to make dibek coffee in the way it is made in Anatolia for years.
1. Add the ingredients: Add the dibek coffee and water to the coffee pot, cezve or briki. Add sugar at this step if you prefer it sweet. You should add 1 teaspoon of sugar per cup for a little sugary taste, 2 teaspoons per cup for a bit more sugary taste, and 3-4 teaspoons per cup for a complete sweet taste.
2. Put on the stove: Put the coffee pot on the stove with low heat. If you are in a hurry, you can also make it on medium heat, but low heat is better.
3. Stir gently: Gently stir dibek coffee and water until they are fully combined.
4. Watch rising: Wait until it rises to the rim. This will take 4-6 minutes, but you should not leave it alone on the stove to avoid any overflowing.
5. Serve and enjoy: As soon as it rises, take the coffee pot from the stove and pour it into the cups. Unlike Turkish coffee, you do not need a second rise when making dibek coffee. Your dibek coffee is ready, enjoy it!
Making Dibek Coffee with an Electric Turkish Coffee Maker
The traditional way of preparing dibek coffee, as described above, offers a unique experience and taste. However, modern convenience doesn't have to compromise tradition. With an electric Turkish coffee maker, you can still enjoy the authentic flavor of dibek coffee with added ease and consistency. Here's how to do it:
1. Prepare the ingredients: Just like the traditional method, gather your ingredients: water, ground dibek coffee, and sugar if you want it sweet.
2. Add ingredients to the coffee maker: Add the ground dibek coffee and sugar (optional) to the coffee maker’s pot and pour the water.
3. Start the coffee maker: Switch on the coffee maker. These devices are designed to heat at an optimal temperature, ensuring your coffee is brewed perfectly without the need for constant supervision.
4. Monitor the brew or do something else: Unlike traditional stovetop methods, the electric Turkish coffee maker comes with indicators to warn you when the coffee is ready. So, you do not need to monitor the brewing process and do enjoy doing something else. Your machine will avoid any overflow cutting the process when the coffee is ready.
5. Serve and enjoy: Once the coffee maker indicates that your dibek coffee is ready, serve it immediately. The electric Turkish coffee maker ensures a consistent taste every time, replicating the traditional dibek flavor with modern convenience.
Benefits of Using an Electric Turkish Coffee Maker for Dibek Coffee
Consistency: Each cup of dibek coffee will have the same taste and quality, removing the variability that sometimes occurs with stovetop methods.
Convenience: The electric coffee maker simplifies the brewing process, making it more accessible for daily enjoyment or for those new to dibek coffee.
Safety: With automatic temperature control and indicators, the risk of overflow or burning is significantly reduced.
Time-saving: The electric maker brews coffee faster than the traditional method, perfect for those with a busy lifestyle.
By integrating the convenience of modern technology with the traditional recipe, you can enjoy dibek coffee anytime, without sacrificing its authentic taste and quality. This blend of tradition and innovation reflects the evolving nature of coffee culture, bringing the rich flavors of Anatolia into the modern kitchen.
Order your Turkish Coffee Maker now!
Common Questions and Answers
Q: Is dibek coffee healthy?
A: Yes. Dibek coffee is one of the healthiest beverages in the world. It has all health benefits from its 8 to 11 different ingredients in addition to the coffee beans. Dibek coffee is rich in antioxidants, helps improve the immune system, stimulates the digestive system, regulates blood pressure, and reduces stress.
Q: Can I add cream to the dibek coffee?
A: Of course, you can if you want, but dibek coffee is already creamy with its additional ingredients, so you do not need to add cream to enjoy it.
Q: Can I make dibek coffee with milk?
A: Yes, you can make dibek coffee with milk, but it will be very light since it is already a light coffee even when made with water.
Shop our selection of premium coffee brewing equipment now!